Over the last two decades there have been numerous demonstrations of accessible digital map interfaces for people with disabilities. However, these implementations typically only support a small number of specific map visualizations. This talk will focus on how accessibility can be implemented at the authoring layer of mapping APIs to accelerate access to spatial information in 2018.
Thomas Logan presented on October 11, 2018 at 1pm Eastern for Inclusive Design 24. His presentation was one of twenty-four total presentations across a wide range of topics. All of the talks are available in the Inclusive Design 24 Playlist on YouTube.
- BATS: Blind Audio Tactile System
- Default Google Maps APS Visualization
- Accessible Google Maps APS Visualization
- a11y-google-maps GitHub Repo
- REQUEST: Accessibility of Google Maps API
- ESRI GitHub – Accessible Map Code
- ESRI Live Example
- Accessible SVG MAP – Equal Entry Sample
- Open Street Map – Accessibility